The U.S. Has Officially Withheld $65 Million From Palestinian Refugee Programs
The picture above shows a young girl with a Kalashnikov joins in jihadists' celebration of 'victory' over Israel - but Palestinian president says Hamas are to blame for loss of 2,000 lives. The U.S. has officially withheld $65 million from Palestinian refugee programs.
WASHINGTON, United States — The United States sent $60 million to keep the UN relief agency for Palestinians (UNRWA) in operation but withheld a further $65 million while it urged others to pay more, a State Department official said Tuesday.
“There is a need to undertake a fundamental re-examination of UNRWA, both in the way it operates and the way it is funded,” the official said.
The official told AFP the decision to withhold some funds was meant to encourage more “burden-sharing” by other members.
“The United States has been UNRWA’s single largest donor for decades. In years past, we contributed some 30 percent of UNRWA’s total income,” he said.
“Without the funds we are providing today, UNRWA operations were at risk of running out of funds and closing down.
“The funds provided by the United States will prevent that from happening for the immediate future.”
US President Donald Trump earlier this month threatened to cut US aid to the Palestinians, saying on Twitter that Washington gets “no appreciation or respect” from the Palestinians.
“We pay the Palestinians HUNDRED OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS a year and get no appreciation or respect,” Trump tweeted on January 3.
Did you enjoy this news story? Sign up for our newsletter here and don't for get to share your thoughts in the comments below.